I know, friends. You’ve been dying for a new post. You’ve been wondering why your inbox has been missing the new blog post notification. I know, because I’ve wondered the same. I apologize for not being consistent on here and for neglecting the blog. The last few weeks have been crazy busy. With work, taking time to focus on my health, celebrating my birthday…it’s all just flown by and now we’re here. We’re in APRIL and I’m just finally getting to a new blog post. But I’m back, ready more than ever, excited for what’s to come, and I hope you are too.
I recently turned 28 and while there was a brief “holy crap I’m in my late twenties what am I doing with my life” moment, there has also been so much clarity in where I’m headed and how truly blessed I am to be living this life.
First off, I’ve never received more comments about looking young (okay, looking like a child) than I have in the week I turned 28. My uber driver couldn’t find me and when I was standing on the corner waving my hand in the air, he said, “are you the little girl on the corner?” Sir, that is me, and I am a grown woman on my way to celebrate my 28th birthday. *hair flip*
Or that one time I was walking in the hallway, you know, being a TEACHER, and students and staff turned the corner, wondering why a child was there alone. Ummm….
All jokes aside, I’m not complaining on looking young, because let’s be real, I still have a baby face and I’m the same height as I was when I was eleven, so I don’t blame people. But turning 28 has been fantastic–I’m surrounded by such great friends and family who truly support, love, and care for me. I’m on a pathway to healing my eczema naturally and finally feel so much freedom in knowing I am not shackled by medication. I’m making big and exciting changes for my future (stay tuned, y’all–aka subscribe to the blog if you don’t want to miss it *plug plug plug*). Life is wonderful in the grand scheme of things. While the past few months have been the hardest months I’ve experienced in a long time, I’m also so thankful for enduring because it’s taught me so much about the strength I have inside me. I’ll save the details for another post on my health update, but let’s just say…I’m turning a new leaf with my healing and I’m feeling more like me again.
In honor of turning 28, I wanted to share 28 facts about myself! Since starting this blog and instagram account, I realized that I’ve never really written about myself or shared that much about myself on here. So here we go!
- I was born and raised in Orange County, California. You can take the girl out of California but you can’t take the California out of her….#westcoastbestcoast
- How did I end up on the east coast? Great question. I moved to Washington, D.C. 2 days after graduating from college with 3 suitcases. 2 with clothes and 1 full of shoes. #priorities #meanttobeafashionblogger
- I went to the University of California, San Diego and majored in Communication and Sociology. I studied people and it’s no wonder why I love people!
- I moved to D.C. for Teach For America, where I completed my 2 year teaching term right outside D.C. in Prince George’s County, Maryland. This experience profoundly shaped me, challenged me, and expedited my growth as an adult so much.
- After completing my 2 years in D.C., I moved to Brooklyn, NY! I’ve been in Brooklyn for the last 4 years and a total of 6 years on the east coast.
- I am a middle school teacher and have taught grades 6, 7, and 8! I’ve always taught ELA (English Language Arts) and currently teach 6th grade writing.
- I earned my Master’s degree in teaching and graduated with distinction–it’s something I’m proud of!
- I am a first generation college student and the only person in my family to have a Master’s degree. I come from very humble beginnings and it’s part of the reason why I’ve loved teaching so much–education has given me and my family so many opportunities that didn’t exist before and I love being a part of that journey for my kiddos
- I have two brothers –one older and one younger– which means I’m a middle child! #middlechildsyndrome
- Both my brothers have been my blog photographers and are the sweetest about it. They always take pictures for me willingly and never complain. They’re the best!
- Growing up, I was very self-conscious of the way I looked, but I’ve learned to embrace the features that make me different and beautiful in my own way.
- I am 100% Chinese (to my knowledge), but am always mistaken for being Korean! I want to do the DNA test one day soon! I speak limited Mandarin and try to use it when I can.
- Outside of blogging, I LOVE to cook, bake, and try new recipes!
- I recently transitioned to being 100% plant based to help heal my eczema and I am LOVING it. Fruits and veggies are powerful tools to help heal our bodies and I am thankful for the life it gives me!
- I’m also gluten free, but have been gluten free for the last 5 years. While I am not a celiac, I do find that gluten irritates my digestive system and triggers eczema, so I keep it out of my diet! I know–vegan AND GF? Sounds tough but it’s not bad at all!
- My favorite part about living in NY is hands down…the FOOD. You can be walking down the street and be craving ANY cuisine and quite literally, you will find a place within walking distance. It’s incredible.
- My favorite foods involve (vegan) sushi, (GF) noodles of any kind, and plaintains/potatoes! Have you and Trader Joes’ plantain chips? It’s crack, y’all.
- I start my day with a green juice every day and I feel weird when I don’t have it!
- I used to drink coffee every day but have since switched over to tea! I surprisingly don’t miss it at all!
- My favorite stores to shop at are Target, Loft, Old Navy, and Zara….but you didn’t need me to tell you that.
- I love dancing, but dancing does not love me. One time, I took a hip hop work out class for a week straight, CRUNKED so hard, I called 911 because I thought I was having an appendicitis. This stuff cannot be made up. My best friend can vouch for me as she made the call and witnessed me thinking I was dying.
- I am happiest when I can be creative whether it be drawing, making art, creating blog content, etc.
- I have only owned one pet my entire life and it was a turtle named Yurtle. Unfortunately, my turtle ran away from me–yes, you heard that right. I left it outside it’s tank after cleaning it one day and forgot to put him back. My mom and I believe he escaped through the sewer opening of our patio in our childhood condo. I hope he lived a good life.
- I am a bargain shopper through and through. I rarely buy anything regular price and am always on the hunt for a good deal. #teacherbudget
- I haven’t owned a TV for the last 8 years. While I do watch the occasional show on hulu or Amazon prime video, I don’t watch many TV shows! Sometimes I feel out of the loop but I’ve just learned how to live without it!
- I genuinely love loving on people. Whether it’s writing a note or buying someone their favorite chocolate, I try to do little things to let people know that I care.
- I ran the Brooklyn Half Marathon in 2015 and want to do another one day! It was by far the craziest thing I put my body through and I want to work toward another challenge in the future.
- While I am an extrovert and love meeting new people, I actually recharge by being alone and have introvert tendencies.
And there you have it! I hope you had fun learning a little bit more about me. Share a fun fact about you below in the comment or let me know if we share a commonality! By far the best part about blogging has been connecting and meeting such amazing boss babes. Don’t be a stranger and let me know if you’ve read this extremely long post!
Take care, sweet friends. 🙂
Here are a few of my favorite looks from the last few weeks! Outfit deets below:
Mock Neck Swing Sweater from Loft
- Currently 40% off the sale price–it’s just over $20! The sweater is light, super flattering and a perfect winter to spring transition piece!
Pleated Chiffon Skirt from Uniqlo
- On sale for $19.90! I bought mine last year and it has been a favorite ever since. You can wear this in the spring and summer with cute floral print tops or the way I did with a lightweight sweater! Seriously so versatile!
Gucci Knock-off belt
- Unfortunately, it is sold out but here’s a similar belt!
Booties from Target (last year)
- Here’s a similar pair from Nordstrom BP Brand
- Another pair (ON SALE!) from Lucky Brand
- One more from Target Dolce Vita Brand
Forever 21 Oversized Double-Breasted Blazer
- I’ve gotten SO many compliments on this blazer–it wears like a coat/jacket and is in the cutest sea foam green. I also wear it like a dress almost and belt it (see below) for another great way to wear it!
- It’s also on sale for $24! Get it!
Floral Keyhole Dress from Loft
- This dress is now sold out, but would you believe me if I told you that I bought it for $5.96?! It was on crazy sale and was SO worth it. It’s perfect for work and play!
- Here’s a similar option from Forever 21 and is on sale for $15!
- Another floral option from Forever 21
This is the same blazer from above! How cute is it belted? I love pieces that are versatile and serve you multiple looks. #bangforyourbuck
7 for All Mankind Cropped Jeans from Nordstrom
- You know you’re short when you have to roll CROPPED jeans to make them fit. Where my shorties at?! These jeans are SO comfy and are on major sale! They’re normally $170 but are on sale for $113. I bought them on sale and took advantage of it when looking for a nice pair of dark wash denim!
Combat Lace Up Boots from Target
- Unfortunately, these shoes are sold out. But here are some other options:
- Target Weather Proof Boots
- Target Lace up Tall Rain Boots