If you’re looking for an instaworthy or instagrammable place in LA, look no further than LACMA. That’s the Los Angeles County Museum of Art and home to one of the most iconic art installations in the city: Urban Light.
This art installation is hard to miss. Consisting of 202 restored street lights that were once used in the 1920’s and 1930’s from southern California, the installation is breathtaking. The lights themselves are ornate with geometric patterns, floral details embedded in the posts and are topped off with beautiful lights at the top. The rows on rows of them make for the perfect photo op!
While the installation has been up since 2008, I had never made the trip to see the lights until a couple weeks ago! It had been on my bucket list of items to see and shoot, and I’m so glad I got to check it out with some of my fave blogger boos. I wanted to share some tips in case you also want to make the trip here and capture some content!
1. If you want to get the perfect lighting, I recommend going a couple hours before the sun sets. The sun is generally a little softer and not as harsh which makes for taking photos much better! I’d rather have my photo be on the dimmer side rather than too bright for when I edit. And then you can also catch the installation when the lights turn on! Such a win-win!
2. As you can imagine, this place is a hotspot for photos! We went on a Sunday afternoon around 4pm and while there were a lot of people, it wasn’t terrible. If possible, try and go during a weeknight or Sunday evening. As you can see in my photos, there were times where we had rows to ourselves! When that happens, run in and get the shot!
3. In terms of parking, there is metered street parking which is great if you only plan on going to shoot some photos (what I ended up doing). If you intend on going into the museum, perhaps the garage parking would be a better option! More information can be found on their website.
4. If you need to do an outfit change, there is a bathroom in the museum itself which is right next to the installation. OR you can be like me and shamelessly put on a skirt over my jeans in public for outfit #2. If you watched my IG stories, then you know!
5. Go with a couple friends so that you can shoot each other! If you caught the behind the scenes on my IG story, then you know the team it took to get these shots! You always end up needing someone to hold/watch the bags, a photographer, someone to capture the BTS, etc!
6. And last but not least, wear comfy shoes! I spent the day in LA that day and ended up walking a good portion of the day. Thankfully, I had my trusted sandals from Revere Shoes!
This is my second time partnering with Revere Shoes and I am so grateful! While this post is sponsored by them, my opinions are my own. Revere Shoes makes genuinely comfortable shoes. As someone who has flat feet and is always looking for shoes with comfortable soles, this is one thing they are really good at! I loved the gold straps as they gave my outfit a little dash of razzle dazzle and we all need a little of that in our lives, right?!
The exact shoe I am wearing can be found here. They come in different colors and are super comfortable on your feet! I can see these being an awesome spring and summer sandal! Thank you to Revere Shoes for sponsoring this post and introducing me to these amazing sandals!
The photos are taken by the wonderful Lis King and Stacey Lu!
Let me know in the comments–have you visited LACMA?! Do you want to see more Instaworthy places in CA? Let me know and I can definitely do more of these posts!